[jats-list] Private-char in xref tags

Subject: [jats-list] Private-char in xref tags
From: "Charles Quigg quiggc@xxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 09:11:40 -0000
Hi folks,

We're using the JATS 1.2 Publishing suite and have tripped over a discrepancy
between the documentation and the schema:

We are using the private-char element to represent characters specific to our
organisation. Within the xref element, this element isn't allowed:
https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.2/element/private-char.html,
we are keen to hear any options you might have for including private-char with
in element.

The documentation says it can be contained in:
<addr-line>, <alternatives>, <alt-title>, <article-title>, <attrib>,
<compound-kwd-part>, <compound-subject-part>, <conf-theme>, <data-title>,
<def-head>, <disp-formula>, <element-citation>, <fixed-case>,
<funding-source>, <inline-formula>, <italic>, <label>, <license-p>,
<part-title>, <product>, <roman>, <sans-serif>, <sc>, <see>, <see-also>,
<term-head>, <textual-form>, <th>, <title>, <trans-source>, <trans-subtitle>,
<trans-title>, <underline>, <verse-line>

However the schema reports that it can only be contained in:
bold, fixed-case, italic, monospace, overline, roman, sans-serif, sc, strike,
underline, ruby, named-content, styled-content, sub, sup

So we'd like to get an understanding of the mismatch between the schema and
documentation and see if there's any recommended options.

Thanks for your help,
Charlie

Charlie Quigg
Systems Manager