[jats-list] Re: JATS 1.3 and Oxygen 17.1

Subject: [jats-list] Re: JATS 1.3 and Oxygen 17.1
From: "Lizzi, Vincent vincent.lizzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 20:51:24 -0000
Hi Diane,

Any version of oXygen can be configured to use a different version of JATS
than the versions that come packaged in the JATS Kit framework. Michael
described the basic approach.

In addition, some errors can be resolved or prevented by making sure that the
DOCTYPE at the beginning of each of your JATS XML documents contains a full
remote URL to the JATS DTD that you are using instead of just a file name. If
a full remote URL to the DTD is present in the DOCTYPE then oXygen (and other
software) can access the DTD via the URL, so it doesn't matter as much if the
file is opened in a program that isn't configured with a specific version of
the JATS DTD.  Here are DOCTYPE declarations with full remote URLs for several
versions of the JATS 1.3 DTD (I'm not sure which one of these you need).

JATS 1.3 Archiving with OASIS Tables and MathML 3:

<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//NLM//DTD JATS (Z39.96) Journal Archiving and
Interchange DTD with OASIS Tables with MathML3 v1.3 20210610//EN"
"https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/archiving/1.3/JATS-archive-oasis-article1-3-mathml3
.dtd">

JATS 1.3 Archiving with MathML 3:

<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//NLM//DTD JATS (Z39.96) Journal Archiving and
Interchange DTD with MathML3 v1.3 20210610//EN"
"https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/archiving/1.3/JATS-archivearticle1-3.dtd";>

JATS 1.3 Publishing with OASIS Tables and MathML 3:

<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//NLM//DTD JATS (Z39.96) Journal Publishing DTD
with OASIS Tables with MathML3 v1.3 20210610//EN"
"https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/1.3/JATS-journalpublishing-oasis-article
1-3-mathml3.dtd">

JATS 1.3 Publishing with MathML 3:

<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//NLM//DTD JATS (Z39.96) Journal Publishing DTD
with MathML3 v1.3 20210610//EN"
"https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/1.3/JATS-journalpublishing1-3.dtd";>

Adding the full remote URL to the DOCTYPE can make a shift from not working to
working. It is still a really good idea to have oXygen (or any software you
are using frequently to work with JATS XML documents) configured for the
specific version of the JATS DTD that you are using. For example, using an XML
Catalog and a local copy of the DTD similar to what the JATSKit framework
provides. Validating and parsing XML documents can be slow when the DTD is
retrieved via a remote URL so having this configuration will allow the
software to work much faster for your day to day activity.

Kind regards,
Vincent

Vincent M. Lizzi
Head of Information Standards | Taylor & Francis Group
vincent.lizzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:vincent.lizzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Information Classification: General