Re: [jats-list] Re: JATS 1.3 and Oxygen 17.1

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Re: JATS 1.3 and Oxygen 17.1
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 21:12:12 -0000
Hi,

As the original and nearly-only developer of the JATSKit support that comes
in oXygen, I can only echo Michael's remarks and emphasize them. With
respect to new features or missing features, the best way -- the only way
-- to get JATSKit to work for your organization is to understand and
evaluate the gap between what it offers and what you need, fork the JATSKit
and build to bridge that gap, maybe even consider filing a pull request,
thereby paying forward.

https://github.com/wendellpiez/JATSKit note 31 forks already exist -
presumably some or most of these are orgs or developers doing as just
described

FWIW the only reason I'm not updating JATSKit myself is that I'm so busy
frying other fish. The inactivity should not be taken to mean that we (me,
oXygen, or anyone I know of) would not be interested in contributions or
updates -- that's what Github is for. Indeed as Vince shows, by someone
knowledgeable it is also possible to apply some elementary reconfigurations
to oXygen even without updating the framework, to push it in new
directions. The openness of the architecture also makes it pretty easy to
write your own display or transformation logic and the rest, when it comes
to it. (That is not as scary as it sounds - no blood, only angle brackets.)

Cheers, Wendell

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 11:07 AM Michael Boudreau mboudreau@xxxxxxxxxxxx <
jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Diane,
>

> Oxygen isnbt the only XML editor, but itbs one of the best (at least,
Ibm
> accustomed to it and would hate to give it up).
>

> I would recommend making a copy of the JATSKit framework that comes with
> Oxygen and modifying the copy for your purposes: create an association rule
> to use the new framework for your JATS 1.3 documents, download the 1.3 DTD
> and update the framework to use it.
>

> --
>
> Michael R. Boudreau
>
> Electronic Publishing Technology Manager
>
> The University of Chicago Press
>
> 1427 E. 60th Street
>
> Chicago, IL 60637
>
> www.journals.uchicago.edu
>

> *From: *Diane Collins dcollins@xxxxxxxx <
> jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> *Date: *Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 4:33 PM
> *To: *jats-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <jats-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> *Subject: *[jats-list] JATS 1.3 and Oxygen 17.1
>
> This is a long shot, but here is my situation.
>

> We have recently upgraded to jats 1.3 and were using Oxygen 17.1 to edit
> our xmls. We are now experiencing spacing problems and validation errors. I
> could not find any new jatskit utilizing jats 1.3.
>
> Is Oxygen the only or best xml editing software? Is there any way to
> import the dtd of 1.3 to Oxygen?
>
> We did try the 24.1 version of Oxygen and that does not have the 1.3
> framework of JATS.
>

> *Diane Collins *
> *Assistant Director: Journal Operations*
>
> Radiological Society of North America
> 820 Jorie Blvd, Oak Brook, IL 60523
> TEL 1-630-481-1021
> dcollins@xxxxxxxx
>

> Radiological Society of North America
> 820 Jorie Blvd, Oak Brook, IL 60523
> TEL 1-630-571-2670
> FAX 1-630-571-7837
>
> RSNA 2022 Annual Meeting

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/RSNA.org/annual-meeting__;!!BpyFHLRN4TMTr
A!8b0ovzwbF5E2ReC_9SRlsEFjps84WS6ixnzdbUz79kOYBhmGj5cN0HGn_48MfiyM8SLW386k-sO
SqQA-HJT9Fur3DWhnjq8KY9XgXJm1vQ$>
> November 27 b December 1, 2022
>
> JATS-List info and archive

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.mulberrytech.com/JATS/JATS-List/__;!!B
pyFHLRN4TMTrA!8b0ovzwbF5E2ReC_9SRlsEFjps84WS6ixnzdbUz79kOYBhmGj5cN0HGn_48Mfiy
M8SLW386k-sOSqQA-HJT9Fur3DWhnjq8KY9V2s7HLdA$>

> EasyUnsubscribe

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/lists.mulberrytech.com/unsub/jats-list/298
6360__;!!BpyFHLRN4TMTrA!8b0ovzwbF5E2ReC_9SRlsEFjps84WS6ixnzdbUz79kOYBhmGj5cN0
HGn_48MfiyM8SLW386k-sOSqQA-HJT9Fur3DWhnjq8KY9Uo09psMA$>