Re: [niso-sts] STS and triples?

Subject: Re: [niso-sts] STS and triples?
From: "Debbie Lapeyre dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2020 23:05:58 -0000
Answer follows original message.

<niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> During the last STS maintenance meeting we discussed the potential use case
for expressing either information using STS in a btripleb format, or to
integrate triples nicely into existing STS markup.

> I was advised that the documentation suggests it can be done:

https://www.niso-sts.org/TagLibrary/niso-sts-TL-1-0-html/chapter/linked-data.
html

> Ibm keen to check if anyone on the list is using STS in this fashion and
any further advice or examples on implementation?

> Ibm representing the interests of others, so my examples may not be clear
enough, but I think the general intentions/questions are:
> 	b" Link terms to external ontologies (eg term A is defined at endpoint B)
> 	b" Allow for explicit relationship declarations (eg standard X supersedes
standard Y)
> 	b" Declare relationships between elements, possibly namespaced in from
another tag set (a print document may expect natural language, but a machine
readable document may prefer subject verb object constructs for example)

> Any thoughts/advice?
>
> Regards,
> Ivan
>
> Ivan Salcedo
> Principal, Knowledge Innovation
> T: +44 208 996 7215  | M: +44 7961 425751
> ivan.salcedo@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry Ivan, I have no idea who is using what.

But there are some constructs already part of STS that might answer the
needs:

1) > Link terms to external ontologies (eg term A is defined at endpoint B)

This is exactly what the vocabulary attributes do. There are 4 of them
 - @vocab - Name of the controlled or uncontrolled vocabulary, taxonomy,
ontology
 - @vocab-identifier - Unique identifier of the vocabulary

 - @vocab-term - Canonical version of the term in the vocabulary
 - @vocab-term-identifier - Unique identifier of the term within a specific
vocabulary

The last two say that term A is defined as term B a particular vocabulary.
These last two
attributes are available on the following elements:

      <compound-kwd>, <compound-subject>, <ics>, <ics-desc>, <kwd>,
<named-content>,

The STS Standing Committee could discuss adding them to other elements if
needed.

2) >Allow for explicit relationship declarations (eg standard X supersedes
standard Y)

The element <std-xref> (Cross-Reference to a Standard) is defined as "Used
within one
of the standards metadata elements to identify, and possibly provide a link
to, another standard.
This element is used to name a related standard, for example, a standard that
has been revised, amended, or replaced by the current standard.

The @type attribute on <std-xref> defines its value as "the type of standard
to which this
cross-reference is pointing, for example, a value of 'supersedes' would
indicate that this
cross-reference points to the standard that the current standard supersedes."

3) >Declare relationships between elements, possibly namespaced in from
another tag set
(a print document may expect natural language, but a machine readable document
may
prefer subject verb object constructs for example)

Again, the vocabulary attributes MIGHT be able to do what you want:

On an element that takes a vocabulary attribute (example <kwd>), the content
of
the <kwd> element would be your natural language keyword for display and the
vocabulary
attributes could (perhaps?) point to your subject-verb-object triple.

There is always, of course, the possibility to add RDF-a attributes to
every term in STS, as an extension of the standard vocabulary.

I really hope you get an answer to who is doing this, and how.
There have been some JATS users with triple stores, who might
have relevant experience.

--Debbie

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron