Pattern and Action Containers (was: XSL Discussion)

Subject: Pattern and Action Containers (was: XSL Discussion)
From: David Megginson <ak117@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 06:29:09 -0500
Jeremie Miller writes:

 > First off, I've mentioned in the past that I think a simple separation of
 > the patterns and actions should happen, like:
 > <rule>
 >   <pattern>
 >     <target-element type="p">
 >   </pattern>
 >   <action>
 >     <DIV>
 >       <children/>
 >     </DIV>
 >   </action>
 > </rule>
 > Much of what I'm going to be talking about is based on this...

Absolutely correct -- it is a basic principle of good document type
design that a series of related elements should appear within a
container.  There are two advantages to doing so:

1) Software will know when the series is finished without reading ahead one
   element.

2) Authors can easily cut-and-paste the whole series into a different
   location.

What is the thinking of the XSL WG on this point?

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson                 ak117@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx