RE: XSL Discussion

Subject: RE: XSL Discussion
From: David Schach <davidsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 08:53:37 -0800
> First off, I've mentioned in the past that I think a simple separation of
> the patterns and actions should happen, like:
> <rule>
>   <pattern>
>     <target-element type="p">
>   </pattern>
>   <action>
>     <DIV>
>       <children/>
>     </DIV>
>   </action>
> </rule>

	I agree.  This makes it a lot easier to read the rules. The downside
is that it makes XSL even more verbose than it already is.

> Much of what I'm going to be talking about is based on this...
>
> Lets talk about the patterns for a bit.  Maybe it's just a matter of
> syntax,
> but I would feel more comfortable writing something like:
>   <chapter>
>   </chapter>

	This was considered and there are still supporters for this syntax.
The argument against it is that it makes it impossible to write a DTD for
XSL.  In addition, the <chapter> and <p> are really being used out of
context in the XSL document.