Re: Can data be controlled with XSL?

Subject: Re: Can data be controlled with XSL?
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 20:44:46 -0400
Dan Hable wrote:

> I'm trying to create a system for authors to create documents. I've made
> the DTD and the authors have keyed in the data for documents. I wanted
> to validate the document using the authors name. There is only a limited
> set of data that can be in the author's name field. Is it possible,
> using XSL, to go into a database and pull a name out, check the data and
> then continue processing if the data is valid.

The current proposal does not have any database connection features. I
don't expect it to gain any during the standardization process either.
Particular XSL implementations may add features such as this, but code
that depends upon them will not be portable. Some implementations will
also be extensible. I hope and expect the XSL standardizers to fight the
trend towards XSL becoming a do-anything language. First and foremost we
need a decent Web stylesheet language.

Three things never anger: First, the one who runs your deck
The one who does the backup, and the one who signs your check
http://www.geezjan.org/humor/computers/threes.html