Re: 2.6 patterns: let's try variations on the XML syntax

Subject: Re: 2.6 patterns: let's try variations on the XML syntax
From: Sean Mc grath <digitome@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 08:45:03 +0100
[Paul Prescod]

>In my mind, the anti-"string pattern" crowd is wasting its
>effort on a minor issue.

I'm afraid I disagree. Sure the XML syntax has plenty of limits but:-

a) The really simple things were really simple
b) Its use of XML syntax added credence to all the hype about XML
c) It had the "look and feel" of a database "query by example" and
people understood it almost as soon as they saw it.

The XML syntax was a great "on-ramp" to the world of XML rendering and
transformation. I am personally disappointed to see it go for these
reasons.

Sean Mc Grath
http://www.digitome.com/sean.htm
+353 96 47391

"Imagine a world without hypothetical situations..."