Re: Beginners question: Koala XSL-Engine and <xsl:process select>

Subject: Re: Beginners question: Koala XSL-Engine and <xsl:process select>
From: Tyler Baker <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 18:07:12 -0400
Ed Nixon wrote:

> Here is a quote from Frank Boumphrey's XSL tutorial (found at:
> Http://www.hypermedic.com/style/xsl/index.htm )
>
> 'Note that the root is not the same as the root element, which can be matched
> by name, it comes before this. It is really a fiction. The reason for the
> distinction is that if we named the root element, e.g. <xsl:template
> match="xdoc"> and then used <process-children/> the root node would not be
> processed!'
>
> "xdoc" is simply the name of the example root element in the tutorial.

That is one way of doing things I suppose, but I don't like this at all as it is
confusing to deal with.  It still seems silly to have to refer to the root node when
only one element of a particular type can be the document element.  Referring to the
document element like any other node makes working with the DOM a bit of a kludge
since you have to essentially create a dummy node that lives on top of the document
element.

Tyler