Attribute value templates

Subject: Attribute value templates
From: Anders Kristensen <ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 19:09:46 +0000
Hello,

Suppose I have a document of the form

<example>
  <color name="red"   rgb="ff0000"/>
  <color name="green" rgb="00ff00"/>
  <color name="blue"  rgb="0000ff"/>
</example>

and I want to construct a document like:

  <circle bg="00ff00"/>

where the value of the 'bg' attribute is the value of the 'rgb'
attribute of the 'color' element with 'name' attribute having a value of
'green'.  I can do that with the stylesheet

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";>
  <xsl:template match="example/color[attribute(name)='green']">
    <circle bg="{attribute(rgb)}"/>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

but I was wondering if there is a more direct way. I'd like not to have
to first select the node I'm interested in and then select the value but
rather do both in one go. The problem is that I'm selecting the node on
one attribute while using the value of another. I was trying something
like

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";>
  <xsl:template match="example">
    <col bg="{input[attribute(name)='green',attribute(rgb)]}"/>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

but this produces the output

<col bg=""/>

My guess is that there is no way to do this. This probably doesn't even
matter - I'm just being curious.

Regards,
Anders

--