Re: Microsoft extensions to XSL (was RE: how to call Javascript function in .xsl file) function in .xsl file)

Subject: Re: Microsoft extensions to XSL (was RE: how to call Javascript function in .xsl file) function in .xsl file)
From: Ray Cromwell <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 23:54:17 -0500 (EST)
> If MTS is a good product or not, I let people judge by themselves and I
> personally think that this mail list is not the place to bitch on Microsoft
> or any other manufacturer but to talk about XSL issues. So choose an other
> platform for your jihad. Understood?

You're the one who brought up DCOM, not me. Someone else made the
original comments against DCOM which set you off.  What jihad are you
talking about? I never said DCOM sucks. My own opinion is that it's
not crossplatform enough for my tastes.  I simply feel more comfortable
when I have several implementations or source available for things.
(that is, the oodles of open source corba orbs, or the free source
you get to CORBA or RMI with the JDK)

> On one side a manufacturer with deep pockets that, at least listen to
> developers needs on the other side religious thinking trying to impose
> their view of the world.

Sometimes not everyone can get what they want in a standard. If everyone
gets what they want, you end up with bloatware and a poor design. I'll
just say this, if MS is open to listening to the real developers out
there, then please help to get them to stop backpeddling on full CSS
support in IE. (or full Java support, like RMI and JNI for that matter)
(or Java in WebTV... etc) For what reason does MS leave out the
20-30K of pure Java .class files required for RMI support in JDK1.1,
but provide them for separate download (if you want to hack them in)?
Why do I have to choose between DCOM, CORBA, or RMI, why can't I have all?