Re: alternatives to XSL (was RE: Microsoft extensions)

Subject: Re: alternatives to XSL (was RE: Microsoft extensions)
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 23:33:47 -0600
Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> You can try also the XSL competitor: DSSSL. James Clark provide a free exe
> on its site. It is called Jade. As you may know DSSSL is already an ISO
> standard. You can get also the source code on top of binaries. There is a
> drawback, you need to provide a fully qualified DTD with your document.

That isn't true. You can just tell Jade that you are working with DTD-less
XML.

> Originally, Jade has been created for SGML formats but, as you know XML
> format is also a Subset of the SGML format and therefore could be processed
> with Jade. On its site, James provides samples and links to samples. It
> basically allows you to transform XML into either SGML, XML, RTF, HTML and
> also with an extension Tex. because it is a exe it can run on a server and
> do not cost 60K ;-) Thre are some implementations in production that use
> Jade with success.

Jade is an excellent tool. The only reason I promote Python over Jade is
that many people find Jade's syntax and functional semantics to be
intimidating. Python is more familiar and sufficiently powerful.

At today's pop doubling rates, in 100 years there will be 20 billion
people, more than enough to fill the earth. In 300 years, we will have
filled up 16 earth-sized planets (roughly, our solar system). In 2300
years we will have filled up 200 billion earth-sized planets (roughly,
our galaxy). Only one technology can save us: birth control.