Re: XSL intent survey

Subject: Re: XSL intent survey
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:43:18 +0000

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 11/20/98 10:50:45 PM

To:   xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:   xsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (bcc: Guy Murphy/UK/MAID)

I would assume that flow objects are desirable to that XSL is not dependant
on HTML for the rendering of XML data. For web design this isn't a big
issue, for print etc., it might be. Not being a printer, I wouldn't like to
say :)

Cheers
     Guy.

[SNIP]
Is a formatting language strictly necessary in addition to transformation?
Can't
you build the formatting into the output as part of the transformation?
What
can't you do
if you drop the fo: (like Microsoft have temporarily done).
This is not an opinion but a question - I probably don't know enough about
document stylesheets to understand why you need the formatting objects
and perhaps someone on the list can explain.
Bill Ayers (BillA@xxxxxxxxxx)