re: syntax feedback

Subject: re: syntax feedback
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:40:20 +0000
Hi.

I think this sort of comment is going to be steadily on the increase as a
broader range of developer becomes involved with XML/XSL. Personaly I find
the XSL pattern syntax wonderfuly simple and expressive, but I suspect that
may be due to the fact that as a Web designer I'm used to thinking of
structural descriptions in terms of mark-up, and element relationships
within such. I think C++ developers and the like may simply have a paradigm
shift to undergo when moving to XML/XSL.

I would add that my own experience at work as we move to XML/XSL, and
conversing with C/C++ developers here, is that it's not a safe assumption
that the petently obvious will be so to somebody not used to working daily
with mark-up. Now, like yourself, these too are smart people, and engage in
development that goes way over my head.

Maybe developers comming from the background of rigidly typed languages
find the descriptive/declarative, make it up as you go along approach of
mark-up and styling analagous to Hippy radicalism in the 60s :)

The only advice I can give is that you might find it helpful to actualy
picture the XML mark-up in your head when considering XSL patterns.

Good luck
     Guy.

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 12/12/98 12:04:02 AM