Re: syntax feedback

Subject: Re: syntax feedback
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 20:26:53 +0200
-----Original Message-----
Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>What is it about XML that encourages the development of standards which
>mash together multiple layers of processing?  Why not keep transformation
>in one box, and formatting in the other, and let people who need both just
>use both layers?
>
>That way, you'd avoid all of this sniping between the different style sheet
>communities, give developers a clear path on which to build, and make it a
>lot easier to move documents from one world (without transformations) to
>another (with transformations) without having to reinvent the wheel each
time.

Oh oh, here we go again... That _would_ be a simple solution. I had an
informal survey done in this mailing list - check for the "XSL Intent
Survey" thread if you missed it - and there was a 13-to-1 majority in favor
of the W3C making an official decision on this question once and for all,
and a better then 2-to-1 majority in favour of doing just what you suggest.
Basicaly, the popular choice was to use the transformational part of XSL
(dare I call it XQL? :-) to convert XML into CSS+XML/HTML.

The W3C has maintained a thundering silence as its response to this survey,
at least so far.

Oren Ben-Kiki.