Re: xsl:comment and xsl:pi containing template elements?

Subject: Re: xsl:comment and xsl:pi containing template elements?
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 10:00:31 +0700
Tyler Baker wrote:

> why not:
> <ELEMENT xsl:attribute (#PCDATA | xsl:value-of)>

That wouldn't be enough.  There are lots of other things you can have,
in particular xsl:if, xsl:choose, xsl:apply-templates.  The content
model of xsl:if and xsl:when allows xsl:element, and also a call to
xsl:apply-templates can result in uses of xsl:element.  This means
there's no way to enforce the restrictions on the content of
xsl:attribute statically.

> Why does the DTD say you can have result element nodes as children, but
> then it specifically says this is an error.

It would probably be an improvement if xsl:attribute, xsl:comment and
xsl:pi allowed a subset of the %template; alternatives.  I'm a bit
concerned that this would mislead people into thinking that the
restrictions on the content of these elements could be enforced
statically.

James