Re: How to pass an HTML DOM tree to IE5beta2?

Subject: Re: How to pass an HTML DOM tree to IE5beta2?
From: "Amit Rekhi" <amitr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 10:32:50 +0530
Zahid,

>I'm wondering why you need to give an Html DOM to Ie5 inorder to render it.

Due to my application requirement which happens to be
1) I need to produce HTML from an XML (using XSL).
2) This HTML needs to give the user a UI to add/search nodes onto itself
(for eg. the HTML UI will have an ADD button which on press will list the
 allowable elements and allow a user to select which one he would like to
add to
the existing HTML document.)

Due to requirement 2) I want to supply an HTML DOM tree to IE5b2
The reason being

- Since through the HTML output I am providing a UI for a user to
add/search nodes onto the HTML itself
I want to pass the HTML document in a HTML DOM tree format to the browser
to ease the insertion/addition of nodes since DOM gives us an XML
API for this very purpose.

>Shouldn't it just apply the whatever XSL you want on your XML DOM and
render
>it.
True. But this way the XSL processor within IE5b2 will convert the
XML DOM tree to an HTML stream  and pass that stream to the browser.
Since my HTML output is to allow a user to add/search nodes onto itself,
searching for elements in a stream would mean

- More difficulty than doing the same in a HTML DOM tree.
- Heavy scripting within the HTML stream to maybe store the HTML document
element in some data structure (preferbably a DOM tree) to ease the
searching/adding of elements.

I hope I was able to make my point clear,

Regards,

AMIT