Why does Ie5b2 expect <xsl:comment> with <SCRIPT>?

Subject: Why does Ie5b2 expect <xsl:comment> with <SCRIPT>?
From: "Amit Rekhi" <amitr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 14:02:09 +0530
Hello,

I am in the process of running an XML file linked to a XSL which contained
<SCRIPT> as a part of the it's template. something like :-

1. <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";>
2. <xsl:template match="/">
3. <HTML>
4.  <HEAD>
5.   <TITLE>Testing</TITLE>
6.  </HEAD>
7.  <SCRIPT language="JavaScript"><xsl:comment><![CDATA[
8.   function Testfunc()
9.   {
10.    /*some JavaScript code*/
11.  }
12.  </xsl:comment>]]></SCRIPT>
13.  <BODY>
14.     <B>Testing </B>
15.  </BODY>
16. </HTML>

If I do not include <xsl:comment> before the CDATA declaration
<![CDATA[  (See Line Number 7) the script does not work properly.
The browser screen comes blank and on including it the script code
runs smoothly !

Is it that having <xsl:comment> after <SCRIPT> is mandatory in
IE5b2?
If yes why?

It does make sense to include the <SCRIPT> content within a CDATA section
for well-formedness,
But why to have a <xsl:comment> before the <![CDATA[ declaration ?
(See Line Number 7)

Thanks for any replies,

AMIT