Re: XSL with scripting

Subject: Re: XSL with scripting
From: Tyler Baker <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 20:14:25 -0500
Flow Simulation wrote:

> Now we have seen the latest XSL draft, and scripting hasn't reappeared.
>
> Since there are obviously strong feelings about this, for and against,
> perhaps we should take a vote and send the result to the W3C as
> on the transformation/formatting issue.
>
> I think this one would be a simple yes/no.   Any takers?

The question more importantly would be how you would support scripting and
to what extent.  I am personally against adding scripting because learning
entire new programming (scripting languages) to use XSL I feel defeats its
use in the first place as a simple stylsheet language.  There are already
lots of existing complex solutions out there that have the power you may
need for your particular app so why not just use it instead of XSL.  For
XSL to be successful, it needs to be broadly adopted.  Adding in complex
hooks that everyone must support is not the way to go.  If you want to
layer your own scripting solution on top of XSL or else build your own
proprietary version of XSL to do your own server-processing needs, then I
see nothing wrong with that.

Tyler