Want serialized (rather than DOM-tree) output from XSL transforma tions

Subject: Want serialized (rather than DOM-tree) output from XSL transforma tions
From: "Duffy, Bruce" <Bruce.Duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 11:21:26 -0600
Hello,

In both versions of the XSL WD the result of transforming an xml tree
using an XSL tree is always referred to as a "result tree".  However,
in IE5b2's XSL implementation, the result of applying an XSL tree to
an XML tree is actually a "serialized" string -- not a tree.

With IE5b2, a separate step is required to convert the serialized
output of the transformation back into XML or HTML (assuming the
serialized output conforms to one of those two formats).

My question is this: At West, we want to apply an XSL style sheet to
an XML document to produce a result that *is not a tree*, but is
instead a string or stream in West's "WestPro" data stream format.

So for us, IE5b2's approach of creating the serialized string result
string is a good thing.

In fact, it's so good that I'd like to see the wording of the XSL
standard changed to indicate that conforming XSL processors will give
the user both options 1) Getting the transformation result back as a
DOM tree (as the XSL WD currently specifies) or as a serialized string
(a la IE5b2).

Comments?

	Bruce Duffy
	West Group