Having problems using the HTML FRAME TARGET attribute in XML. Any suggestions?

Subject: Having problems using the HTML FRAME TARGET attribute in XML. Any suggestions?
From: julian.burman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 11:36:20 +0000

Can anyone please help with the following problem. (I'm using IE5 Beta.)

I have two XML files: a Table of Contents (TOC.XML) and the document itself
(DOCUMENT.XML). An XSL file, TOC.XSL and
DOCUMENT.XSL accompanies each XML file. TOC.XSL displays TOC.XML as a list
of HTML HREF links to anchor points in DOCUMENT.XML. The HREF links are
created by TOC.XSL using the XSL:ATTRIBUTE function, based on chapter and
paragraph reference numbers in the XML files. DOCUMENT.XSL displays
DOCUMENT.XML and creates and inserts appropriate HTML HREF ANCHOR tags,
also using XSL:ATTRIBUTE, in the appropriate places, based on chapter and
paragraph reference numbers.

A single HTML file. VIEWER.HTML, creates two frames: LEFT and RIGHT, and
displays the output of TOC.XML+TOC.XSL and DOCUMENT.XML+DOCUMENT.XSL in
LEFT and RIGHT respectively. The required result is that clicking on a link
in TOC in LEFT will display the appropriate part of DOCUMENT in RIGHT.

To achieve this, I have tried the following:

1) Inserted the TARGET="RIGHT" attribute in the HREF construction in
TOC.XSL.

         <A>
            <xsl:attribute
name="HREF">http://www.somewhere.com/document.xml#<xsl:value-of
select="@ANCHOR"/>
               TARGET="RIGHT"</xsl:attribute>
            <xsl:apply-templates />
         </A>

2) Inserted the BASE TARGET="RIGHT" attribute in the HTML HEAD and BODY
constructions in TOC.XSL.
3) Inserted the BASE TARGET="RIGHT" attribute in VIEWER.HTML.

In all three cases, clicking on the link displays DOCUMENT in LEFT, not
RIGHT. It appears that the TARGET attribute is being inserted correctly: in
case 1 above, IE5's status bar displays the following when the pointer
hovers over it:

         http://www.somewhere.com/document.xml#1234567890 TARGET="RIGHT",
but the file still opens in LEFT.

The only apparent difference between the above three cases and not using
the TARGET tag at all is that in the latter case, DOCUMENT always opens in
LEFT at the correct anchor point. With the TARGET tag, DOCUMENT always
opens in LEFT at the very start of the document.

I am at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong, and any advice would be much
appreciated.

Regards

Julian Burman