Re: GOTCHA!

Subject: Re: GOTCHA!
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:56:08 +0000
Hi Oren.

I fear, and I hope that I'm wrong, that we're going to watch such
consideration sacrificed in the name of purity of intent.

The fact of the matter is, that for some considerable time XSL is going to
go to considerable use transforming XML to HTML, but I have already heard
the chants that this doesn't fall within the scope of XSL consideration as
it is after all only concerned with transforming XML to XML, and providing
an XML vacab of formatting objects.

Remeber, we're dealing with the group of people that thought with regard to
HTML that if they chanted hard enough "frames don't exist, frames don't
exist" that magically frames might disappear.

Has anybody noticed that several companies (not just MS), have started
using the term XTL (eXtensible Transformation Langauage), to describe XSL
parser implimentations? I have even had a chap from Object Design using the
terms XSL and XQL interchangably. Not quite as silly as it sounds, as the
bit he was interested in was the patern matching.

Anyhow, my point is that unless the W3C starts addressing the concerns and
interests such as you outline, and of those in the industry that will be
actually using XSL we are going to fall right into the same position with
XSL as we did with HTML. That is several lead companies taking a look at
W3C, shrugging and then carrying on with their own thing.

Remember the W3C doesn't represent something like the rule of law, we
sometimes forget that the only basis for anything the W3C comes up with
ever being used is that people want to use it in the way the W3C lays out.
If they don't, they wont. The W3C can shout all they want, "but we've done
it the right way".... ::shrug::

Watch out for the term XTL, I think you are going to find it on the
increase as companies increasingly get on with their own thing despite the
W3C.

Cheers
     Guy.

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 01/13/99 07:25:28 PM