Re: GOTCHA!

Subject: Re: GOTCHA!
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 14:59:23 +0200
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Anyhow, my point is that unless the W3C starts addressing the concerns and
>interests such as you outline, and of those in the industry that will be
>actually using XSL we are going to fall right into the same position with
>XSL as we did with HTML. That is several lead companies taking a look at
>W3C, shrugging and then carrying on with their own thing.

So what I need to do is sell the new feature(s) to Microsoft, Netscape and
IBM, instead of to the W3C? I'm not certain whether I should add a :-) or a
:-( after this statement...

It is true that the W3C is not very rsponsive to users. Sun's handling of
the proposed Java API standards is an example of how such things can be done
much better. However, the W3C is in general doing good technical work, so
I'm willing to give them some credit - frames are part of HTML 4, after all.
I think (hope?) they are smart enough to understand that ignoring the
real-world users will cause them to be ignored right back. That's why I'm
investing my time here - hoping that my input does have some influence on
the final standard.

"My dear lady, you can pass any laws you like. If they are reasonable, I'll
obey them. If not, I'll ignore them."
    (from "The moon is a hash mistress")

    Oren Ben-Kiki