RE: About the style processing instruction

Subject: RE: About the style processing instruction
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 12:35:12 -0500
Hi Oren,

<YourComment>
If this is the case, don't we have to define a clear algorithm which
stylesheet is the "best" match? This would be trivial if the user specifies
a single back end. However if the user to specifies several alternatives
(say with a priority for each) then it becomes much less simple.

<Reply>
Right to the point! Yes Oren, I think you are right, it would be a good
thing to have the algorithm explicit. I'll think about it. Do you have any
suggestion for this?

<YourComment>
Another issue is standard names such as "TeX", "OpenGL", "Glasses". While
the set of names was small - "screen", "print" this wasn't a problem. But if
this is to be extended to use to specify back-end programs and their
parameters, we'd need Iana-like namespace management. Is there a reasonable
way to make use of the existing Iana name space somehow (e.g.,
"screen,application/tex")?

<Reply>
You mean to use the MIME type instead of the single type. Yes, I think this
would be a good idea, IANA already list all registered MIME types. So, If I
understand you well, the PI would be like:
<xml-stylesheet href="MyScript.dsl" type="text/xsl"
media="screen,application/tex"?> instead of
<xml-stylesheet href="MyScript.dsl" type="text/xsl" media="screen,text"?>
Right?

Regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx