RE: About the style processing instruction

Subject: RE: About the style processing instruction
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 15:39:15 -0500
Hi Chris,

<YourComment>
Why not?  I use CSS with XML, and the media rule makes perfect sense:

* { width: 33em }
@media print {
  * { font: 10pt/12pt Garamond }
}
@media screen {
  * { font: 12pt/14pt Helvetica, Arial }
}

Most other properties are going to be independent of the actual font
selected and relative to the size, so I don't need two separate
stylesheets.
</YourComment>

<Reply>
Yes true, you can use CSS to render a XML document <Question> which browser
of tool is CSS2 compliant that you are using to process the above example?
If it is not a browser but an other kind of tool what is its the output
format then?</question>. Are you suggesting that within XSL construct we use
CSS constructs for formatting? If that is the case, Why not remove all XSL
FOs from the spec? We are talking of of how XSL would handle that case. If
you are suggesting that XSL should give up Formatting objects this would
have the advantages of having only a FO model and resolve the issue of
integrating CSS and XSL FO models. So, is that your point: because @media
has been invented in CSS2 and that CSS2 provide a formating object model
then we should use CSS formatting objects within the transformation XSL
construct (and then remove XSL FOs). Is it that?
</Reply>

<YourComment>
DSSSL didn't really consider media dependency.  XSL has how to handle
this as an open issue (noted in the published drafts).
</YourComment>

<Reply>
This is precisely the topic of this thread. How would XSL handle this or
more precisely what are the suggestion on this subject. And DSSSL is not
necessarily over, it may be due for an new upgraded spec. Remember that
DSSSL deal with SGML documents that XSL cannot process (remember the little
funny o- things?)
</Reply>

Regards
Didier PH Martin