Re: Venting

Subject: Re: Venting
From: "Rick Ross" <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 08:37:52 -0500
Hi Guy,

I am all in favor of browser manufacturers providing full-featured
implementations of both transformations and formatting objects - truly I am.
Your desire for a real styling language is something I think many of us
share.

The fact is, however, that you can count the significant browser
manufacturers on one hand - but the number of firms leveraging the power of
XML transformation processing in server-side applications could eventually
reach into the thousands, even the tens of thousands.

If the outcome is that ONLY a browser manufacturer can reasonably create an
implementation of 100% of the XSL spec, then should all others in the market
segment appear to fall short of the mark? Surely this cannot be reasonable?

Again, I reiterate that I have great hopes that browser manufacturers will
do well in their implementations of XSL - but it does not seem appropriate
to address their needs so singularly, to the exclusion of all others.

This entire XML marketplace will move forward faster if customers have
confidence in their understanding of its purpose and value. The
marketability of leading/bleeding edge tools is a critical driver, and it
merits deeper consideration as a factor.

Regards,
Rick
begin:vcard
n:Ross;Rick
tel;fax:(212) 896-8222
tel;work:(212) 896-8220
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Activated Intelligence
adr:;;100 Park Avenue;New York;NY;10017;US
version:2.1
email;internet:rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:President
note:Java Lobby - http://www.javalobby.org