Re: Accessing XSL context - Was: RE: Question

Subject: Re: Accessing XSL context - Was: RE: Question
From: Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 23:24:08 -0600
Mike Dierken wrote:

> (also, I am biased toward #3, so please add some pros & cons to these...)
> ==============================
> Solution 3: 'context()' method
> PROS:
> Access multiple contexts.
> Doesn't require declarations to access different contexts.
> More declarative of what you want, rather than how to get it.
>
> CONS:
> Introduces new concept.
>
> EXAMPLE:
> <xsl:template match="METHODREF">
>   <xsl:value-of select="ancestor(CLASS)/METHOD[@name=context(1)/@name]"/>
> </xsl:template>

My concern about this proposal is that addressing contexts by number seems
error prone. An extra level can easily break everything. I see your point
about it not requiring pre-declarations, but I think that I would use
local constants over this, given the choice.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did,
but she did it backwards and in high heels."
                                               --Faith Whittlesey