RE: Venting

Subject: RE: Venting
From: "Pawson, David" <DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 07:39:00 -0000
Guy wrote:

Can I ask the DSSSL bods out there something, as I have no experience with
DSSSL?

As I understand it, DSSSL expresses both transformation and flow objects
(equiv. formatting objects). Would DSSSL users appreciate the split of
these?

DaveP.

Not being a big reader of the formalities, I simply wanted to get from SGML
into presented matter. DSSSL does that, beutifully. I have never seen the
transformation side as being separate from the flow object world, simply
a way of getting from a marked up document to a deliverable one.

I am looking to XSL to do the same for XML.
Personally, I don't believe HTML to be a long term viable presentation
format.
It's bursting at the seams now, with all these tools allowing you guys to
play
even more games, I might have thought that you might have similar concerns.

I try to think of the long term benefits to my customers.

If todays implementations might be judged lacking in terms of the complete
standard, why not put some of this effort into working those parts, rather
than bitching at the standards guys? End result might be the same?

Just my two penneth.

regards, DaveP