RE: Venting

Subject: RE: Venting
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:11:52 -0500
At 05:09 PM 2/11/99 +0000, you wrote:
>So what one is left with is radical overengineering, ie., having a whole
>raft of CSS spec to reinvent the wheel of all your basic FOs... I still
>don't see this as an easy option.

But the CSS spec already does just about everything out there; I'm sure
someone on the XSL side of life can find something it's missing, but I
can't say I've been overly impressed with the reinvention of the (CSS)
wheel that XSL FO's seem to me to be.

>I have played with XML+CSS in IE5, and while it's useful with maybe IE5
>behaviours for producing "widgets" (I produced a collapsable navigation
>menu, from XML data), I'm not overly enamoured at the prospect of complex
>rendering using this approach. I appreciate others may differ, but I'm sure
>that print designers wont like being told XML+CSS is the solution they
>should adopt.

CSS1?  Probably not.  CSS2?  No problem.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (April)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com