RE: Venting

Subject: RE: Venting
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 17:09:05 +0000
Hi Simon.

You are quite right, I could use XML+CSS, and while it might be a more
accurate expression of my data, it really doesn't get me any further
forward at all in terms of formating that using DIVs/SPANs+CSS... I just
move from relying on DIV as a block element to specifying display: block;
etc.

So what one is left with is radical overengineering, ie., having a whole
raft of CSS spec to reinvent the wheel of all your basic FOs... I still
don't see this as an easy option.

I have played with XML+CSS in IE5, and while it's useful with maybe IE5
behaviours for producing "widgets" (I produced a collapsable navigation
menu, from XML data), I'm not overly enamoured at the prospect of complex
rendering using this approach. I appreciate others may differ, but I'm sure
that print designers wont like being told XML+CSS is the solution they
should adopt.

Cheers
     Guy.

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 02/11/99 05:18:03 PM