Re: Simple API for XSL?

Subject: Re: Simple API for XSL?
From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Feb 1999 22:13:14 +0100
* Tim McCune

| Has there been any work done on a SAX equivalent for XSL processors
| (i.e.  Simple API for XSL)?  If not, would this be useful, now that
| there are a few different XSL processors out there?

SAX is an API you can use for receiving parse events from parsers in a
parser-dependent way. What would be the equivalent for XSL processors?
As defined in the specification they seem to be intended to be black
boxes that read in an XML document and an XSL style sheet and produce
some result.

What should the API do here? What kind of functionality should it have?

I can see some possibilities that might be both useful and practical:

 - starting the processing
 - receiving error events
 - some way of accessing the result tree (AFAIK first proposed by Paul
 Prescod on the Python XML-SIG mailing list a couple of days ago).
 This might take the form of SAX events or a DOM tree.

This idea probably has some merit, since it would make it far easier
to embed existing XSL processors as components in larger processing
frameworks and applications.

--Lars M.