Re: Fw: CSS and XSL

Subject: Re: Fw: CSS and XSL
From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:17:05 +0100

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Could you please give an example of an SVG documents where the
> presentational data is abstracted away from the content?

Sure

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="foo.css"?>
<svg>
  stuff goes here
</svg>

> The best you can
> do is *reuse style*. You cannot remove it and depend on underlying
> semantics. There are none.

Sure there are. A Bezier is a Bezier whether I style it or not. Lots of
other XML namespaces have semantics. But the issue is not of removing
style and leaving it removed; the issue is of using different styles on
the same graphic for different situations.

> Amost every element and attribute in an SVG document is stylistic.

That depends on your definition of stylistic, which is clearly different
from mine.

> In particular the idea of "separation of
> content and formatting" is no longer possible nor reasonable.

I disagree. I can restyle a graphic so that instead of being black on
white it is white on dark blue, because it is now being used in a slide
show. I can restyle the colorisation of as greyscale image to make it
look different and to tone in with the other graphics on the same page.
That is styling.

> As a W3C
> member pointed out to me recently SVG's goals (and design) are much more
> comparable to PDF than to HTML.

a) I never said they were comparable to HTML
b) Hakon doesn't think that anymore ;-)

--
Chris