RE: select="*/@UNITS/.."

Subject: RE: select="*/@UNITS/.."
From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:28:46 -0500
>Well one point is that the spec doesn't say whether an element is
>considered to be the parent of its attributes; it does however say that
>the children of an element are its child elements and character content
>(i.e. not its attributes), and we can guess that "parent" is intended to
>be the inverse relationship of "child".

But if an element is not the parent of its attributes, what is?  In order
for the XML document to be a tree, something must be the parent of each
node. Attributes are nodes. Therefore each must have exactly one parent.

>But there's a much easier and cleaner way of doing it anyway:
>

>> <xsl:template match="ATOM">
>>   <xsl:apply-templates select="*[@UNITS]"/>
>> </xsl:template>

Agreed

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Writer/Programmer |
|        XML: Extensible Markup Language (IDG Books 1998)            |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764531999/cafeaulaitA/   |