Re: template matching.. display the data

Subject: Re: template matching.. display the data
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:48:36 +0000
Hi Andrew.

I'm worried that I'm misunderstanding what you mean. If I have you wrong I
apologise.

You suggest that one document should define one display instance.... do you
meant he XML or the XSL document?

And while what you suggest may or may not be a prefered working practice,
I'm not sure it should be a requirement.

It must be born in mind that specifying the default stylesheet within an
XML document as a PI is only one way that XSL may be applied to an XML
document. It isn't the right way, or the wrong way, just a way.

It's also worth considering that an awful lot of XML data (at some point it
might be the majority), will have no stylesheet stipulated at all. Given
that, I'm free to apply as many different stylsheets to the data as I
choose, producing multiple views of the data.

For me, this ability is probably one of the most exciting things XML/XSL
brings to Web design, multiple views. I'm not talking about one view with a
12pt body font and one view with a 10pt body font. I' mean slicing the data
another way to produce a different interpretation.

You suggest one display instance, but I have to ask why?

Cheers
     Guy Murphy
     guy_murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
     http://www.guy-murphy.easynet.co.uk