Re: template matching.. display the data

Subject: Re: template matching.. display the data
From: Andrew McNaughton <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 03:38:34 +1200
You haven't understood what I meant.  I'll try again.

The relationship of XML documents to stylesheets is many to many and they
define quite separate things.  It does not make sense for an XML document to
define it's presentation, and that includes not defining it by referring to
which stylesheet is to be used.  Neither does it make sense for for a
stylesheet to limit reusability by defining which data it shall present,
though it makes sense to refer to a DTD.

That said, for any particular use (which I called a display instance) the XML
and stylesheet must both be referenced from somewhere.  I suggested that this
should be done from a separate document, which references both content and
presentation markup in other documents.

Andrew