RE: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?

Subject: RE: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 08:46:24 -0500
Hi Duane,

<YourComment>
This is a bit off topic but it's really funny.  My version of IE 5.0 is
really critical of non conforming dtd's.  The funniest one it has ever
"rejected" and refused to parse has got to be the w3.org's *.xml page on
actual XML spec.  It won't display the document and tells me that the
*.dtd file has an error in it.

Life is filled with irony!!!
</YourComment>

<Reply>
I got the same reaction as you when I encountered the same situation :-)
I guess that for mass diffusion, document producers will use DTD only for
external references. Otherwise, if full DTD are included the probability of
errors in these documents is simply increased. People may associate error
screens with XML and deduce that HTML is more reliable. W3C just show how
frustrating it is to try to access a buggy document.
</Reply>