transforming links for different streams

Subject: transforming links for different streams
From: "Richard Lander" <rlander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:49:26 -0500
 Hello,

For the next while, content providers are likely to be publishing XML and
HTML documents. As we all know, the best method is to author in XML then
publish to XML and HTML. If a content provider is authoring several XML
documents that make up a site and wishes to link between them, then how does
the linking work? This provider will want xml docs to link to xml docs and
the same with HTML but with html docs. Is there a way of transforming docs
with XSL to force the extensions of the values of links?

For example,

doc 1 links to doc 2. In the HTML stream, that means foo.html links to
bar.html. In the XML stream, foo.xml links to bar.xml.

I was thinking that we could store all our links as entities, then change
one master entity depending on the stream but I doubt anyone is going to
like that.

Like this,

<!ENTITY master 'html'> or <!ENTITY master 'xml'> - depending on stream
<!ENTITY somelink 'somefile.&master;'> - does this work? Or is it one of
those 'don't think so' attempts?

<LINK someENTITYattribute="somelink"/>

I hope that XSL provides some means of transformation to solve this problem
because I think my idea is a bit archane.

Thanks,

Richard.