RE: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?

Subject: RE: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 22:41:11 -0500
Hi Jelk

<YourComment>
You can read this thread (6 messages) at

http://listserv.hea.ie/cgi-bin/wa?S2=xml-l&q=&s=Entities+in+Well-Formed-Only
+Doc
uments

Chris may be technically incorrect in XML 1.0 terms, but he has hit the
bull's-eye in terms of using stylesheets for anything beyond the simplest
element-level styling.  Say you have in one DTD

	<!ELEMENT masterpiece (#PCDATA)>
	<!ATTLIST masterpiece author CDATA #FIXED "Didier">

and in another DTD,

	<!ELEMENT masterpiece (#PCDATA)>
	<!ATTLIST masterpiece author CDATA #FIXED "Chris">

the only difference being the attribute value ...

Now, what happens when you have stylesheet with

	masterpiece[author="Didier"] { color: red;  /* ... */ }
	masterpiece[author="Chris"]  { color: green;  /* ... */ }

for a document containing

	<masterpiece>Hark, ye dudes!</masterpiece>

How can you apply the rule if you haven't read the DTD?
</YourComment>

<Reply>
You have a very good point here. Waht can I say to that except that you are
right. The more we discuss about it the more we'll discover how good SGML
was :-) Seriously, it seems that more and more we want to do serious things
the closer we come to SGML funny no? (with the exception of the "well formed
"rule). I know that there is more difference than that but, as we progress,
we discover that we have to use things that where at first advertised as
unecessary. Yes, funny :-)
</Reply>

regards
Didier PH Martin