RE: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?

Subject: RE: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?
From: "Jelks Cabaniss" <jelks@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 22:07:51 -0500

Didier wrote:

> Maybe I didn't read enough the specs ...

Well, according to Tim Bray (in reply to me on a related issue last November):

> I haven't done that much with ie5b2, but you're about the 4th person
> to tell me that it doggedly insists on trying to read the DTD and
> validate if one is provided.  While I can't think of any way to
> label this behavior "illegal", it certainly is not very useful, and
> I assume MS will pull it before solidifying the product.

You can read this thread (6 messages) at

http://listserv.hea.ie/cgi-bin/wa?S2=xml-l&q=&s=Entities+in+Well-Formed-Only+Doc
uments

Chris may be technically incorrect in XML 1.0 terms, but he has hit the
bull's-eye in terms of using stylesheets for anything beyond the simplest
element-level styling.  Say you have in one DTD

	<!ELEMENT masterpiece (#PCDATA)>
	<!ATTLIST masterpiece author CDATA #FIXED "Didier">

and in another DTD,

	<!ELEMENT masterpiece (#PCDATA)>
	<!ATTLIST masterpiece author CDATA #FIXED "Chris">

the only difference being the attribute value ...

Now, what happens when you have stylesheet with

	masterpiece[author="Didier"] { color: red;  /* ... */ }
	masterpiece[author="Chris"]  { color: green;  /* ... */ }

for a document containing

	<masterpiece>Hark, ye dudes!</masterpiece>

How can you apply the rule if you haven't read the DTD?

???

/Jelks