do you use pi's?

Subject: do you use pi's?
From: "Mark D. Anderson" <mda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 10:07:25 -0800
while doing my random xml hack of the week, i found myself creating
an xml instance that contained something like this:
<generator type="englishtext">
   <random_crap_to_put_at_top>
Welcome to my generated file.
   </random_crap_to_put_at_top>
</generator>

Then I had my postprocessor look at that node to determine what to do,
if in fact my output type happened to match.

This *really* felt like something that might be done with a PI, but
i've never used one before. But is there any point?
I find it really hard to arrive at a definitive criterion for what
should be in the instance, and what a PI (the example above is deliberately
sharp; others are harder). And using a PI means that the processor
(or processors, since there may be a stack) has to start treating
multiple types of nodes.

Comments? Does XML need PI's?

-mda