Using apply templates vs using value-of select /for-each

Subject: Using apply templates vs using value-of select /for-each
From: "Douglas Nehring" <dnehring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:12:43 -0500
Yet another question...
Looking at all the examples of XSL I have found/received, I've noticed that
some people use "xsl:value-of select" and/or "xsl:for-each select" while
others use "apply templates".  I tried a couple of simple examples myself
and was able to achieve the same results using both methods.

Is any one way "better" than the another (i.e. better supported by parsers,
etc)?  Can you do some things with one that you can't do with the other?
Are there any examples of this?

If this has been covered in a previous thread, please let me know and I'll
check the archives for it again.

Regards,

Doug Nehring
Nortel Networks