Re: Using apply templates vs using value-of select /for-each

Subject: Re: Using apply templates vs using value-of select /for-each
From: Matthew MacKenzie <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 19:52:46 -0300
Douglas,
  As an XSL newbie, I have learned the hard way that you cannot nest
xsl:for-each within xsl:template, which works opposite to what I am used
to having come to XMl with a perl perspective.
  xsl:foreach is great if you just need to display a lot of static
records with not a whole lot of complex operations being done (ie:
something like a corporate phone database).
  The xsl:apply-templates aproach that you are seeing allows you to
perform more intense operations on the xml.  I am sure I will not have
to describe what I mean here too much...just take an afternoon and play
with making links and stuff like that display in a manner which is not
trivial, you will soon understand what I mean.
  I started working with this stuff about a week ago, and I have been
concerned only with the IE5 side of it all, although I did play with XT
for a few minutes.  You are welcome to the xsl,xml that I have been
playing with if you want to understand what I mean, just let me know.
__
Matthew MacKenzie
www.cartnetwork.com