Re: The Cathedral and the Bizarre (was: do you use pi's?)

Subject: Re: The Cathedral and the Bizarre (was: do you use pi's?)
From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 Apr 1999 11:05:57 +0200
* Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

| <v>And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that
| sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the
| moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, </v>
| <v>And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the
| house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.  </v>
|
| nt.xml#root().descendant(21,chapter).child(12,v)

* Chris Lilley

| Which identifies the single entity (verse 12) but not the range or
| psuedo-entity (verse 12 and verse 13), right?

That is correct. More correctly, it locates the element that contains
verse 12. If I were to locate the entire quote I'd have to write

nt.xml#root().descendant(21,chapter).span(child(12,v),child(13,v))

| Sorry, XPointer examples are rarer than hens teeth, need to seize on
| every one I can get.

The spec is pretty easy to read, even though it leaves out a lot of
stuff. Hopefully the new version will arrive soon.

--Lars M.