Re: HTML is a formatting/UI language was: RE: Formatting Objects considered harmful

Subject: Re: HTML is a formatting/UI language was: RE: Formatting Objects considered harmful
From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 02:06:22 +0800
> There is no boundary between formatting languages and semantic languages.
> As Håkon points out there is only a spectrum. More abstract -> more
> rendition-specific.

That's right. The XSL FO part actually introduces a more rendition-specific
language than just FOs, namely areas and spaces. It is possible to (and, in
fact, my current development version of FOP does for debugging purposes)
serialise block areas, line areas, inline areas and spaces, etc as XML.

James