RE: XML/XSL Demos

Subject: RE: XML/XSL Demos
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:26:07 +0100
> Is the difficulty in writing the Saxon code to do that [multiple output
files]
> greater than that of XSL or DSSSL code?

It's a very simple and natural extension to XSL, that essentially defines a
new
formatting object, the output file.

Trivial example:

<xsl:template match="book">
  <xsl:output file="book.html">
    <HTML><BODY>
       <xsl:apply-templates select="chapter"/>
    </BODY></HTML>
  </xsl:output>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="chapter">
  <P><A HREF="chapter{number(.)}.html">Chapter <xsl:number/></A></P>
  <xsl:output file="chapter{number(.)}.html">
    <HTML><BODY>
	  <H1>Chapter <xsl:number/></H1>
        <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </BODY></HTML>
  </xsl:output>
</xsl:template>

Arguably I should have called it fo:output rather than xsl:output (or even
saxon:output, since I don't own the "fo:" or "xsl:" namespaces - but that
hasn't
inhibited Microsoft so why should it inhibit me?).

I think this would be a great feature to have in standard XSL: even better,
when running client-side, would be the ability to associate output HTML
files with browser frames.

Mike Kay

PS: I've just remembered xsl:number isn't actually supported in the SAXON
version that's currently out in the wild: there's a proprietary alternative.
Watch this space.