RE: Abbreviated Location Paths...

Subject: RE: Abbreviated Location Paths...
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:02:30 +0100
Hi.

I personally know of two very large projects that I'm involved with, one
starting with MSXML, and the other moving over to it over the Summer.

It's there, it's frozen, it's better than the alternative.... use it.

I would agree that this is a less than ideal, but as you point out, we have
all seen expedience win out over the "good thing" many times.

Whether it should or shouldn't the MSXML implimentation will have a
significant impact. Take a look at eXcelon for instance. Object Design
would claim to hold 50% of the OODB market, and even if they're hyping it
up, it's significant. Their new XML server garnering extremely good press
expresses a concept of XQL based almost wholy on the MS notion of XSL
pattern matching. Their lead XML "guru" talks frequently about their
relationship with MS, to the point whereby it supports MS implimented DCDs
but not DTDs.

My *hope* is that IE5 is MS playing with XSL as they did with IE4 and XML,
and that IE6 will see a complete XSL solution..... this is assuming that
XSL is finished by the time IE6 comes out. Like it or not, MS is that black
body that creates a distortion in space-time.

I would have prefered to see a version 1.0 frozen by now with work
continuing on v2 ::shrug:: it'll all pan out however it's going to I
suppose :)

Cheers
     Guy.

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 04/22/99 01:17:47 AM