Re: Formatting Objects considered harmful

Subject: Re: Formatting Objects considered harmful
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:41:25 -0400
At 12:35 AM 4/19/99 +0200, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
>> > - XFO documents don't contain the semantics of the XML/XTL source
>
>For many, this is a feature. "Don't tell them what internal formats we
>use!" "Let them pay for semantics, if they want it!" "Hey, it looks
>fine to me!"

Thus we lose most of the benefits XML offers to the Web - searchability,
reuse, free exchange of information.

And since there is a 'legitimate' business need to be served here - a way
to have an XML site and make a profit off those who want enhanced features
- I'm sure we're going to see this happening a _lot_, if FO's are supported
widely.

It's ironic that FO's - a single vocabulary for presentation - have more
potential (in my opinion, anyway) for 'balkanizing' the Web than raw XML's
many voices.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies