Re: Formatting Objects considered harmful

Subject: Re: Formatting Objects considered harmful
From: Stephen Deach <sdeach@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:43:31 -0700
Please note that all the properties that Chris' paper identifies have been
added to all FOs that can contain text and all FOs that identify the
structure/organization of the text (such as table rows and cells) (see
"Common Aural Properties"). Note also that these are identical to CSS's
aural properties.

At 16:56 1999-04-26 -0400, you wrote:
>[Paul Prescod]
>> In the XSL FO world, it seems that you need to specifically target
>> each disability because the FOs are not designed to degrade.
>
>No, they're not.  Should they be?  Time to drag this out again:
>
><URL:http://www.oreilly.com/people/staff/crism/xsl/audioxsl.html>
>
>What do people think?  I've gotten mixed feedback on it.  Some people
>feel that providing a fallback will discourage real alternate-media
>stylesheets' development, but I observe that those stylesheets are
>almost never developed anyway.
>
>-Chris
>--
><!NOTATION SGML.Geek PUBLIC "-//Anonymous//NOTATION SGML Geek//EN">
><!ENTITY crism PUBLIC "-//O'Reilly//NONSGML Christopher R. Maden//EN"
>"<URL>http://www.oreilly.com/people/staff/crism/ <TEL>+1.617.499.7487
><USMAIL>90 Sherman Street, Cambridge, MA 02140 USA" NDATA SGML.Geek>

-------
  Stephen Deach                            |  Sr Computer Scientist
  408-536-6521 (office)                    |  Adobe Systems Inc.
  408-537-4214 (fax)                       |  Mail Stop E15-420
  sdeach@xxxxxxxxx                         |  345 Park Ave