Re: Formatting Objects considered harmful

Subject: Re: Formatting Objects considered harmful
From: "Fredrik Lindgren" <f.lindgren@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:51:03 +0200

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

[snip]

> The submission can be found from [1]. That document has the notion of
> "HTML/CSS flow objects". One of the examples is:
>
>   <rule>
>     <target-element type="emph"/>
>     <target-element type="strong"/>
>     <SPAN font-weight="bold">
>       <children/>
>     </SPAN>
>   </rule>
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-XSL-970910
>
> This concept seems very close to Paul's HTML-level formatting objects.
> I'd suggest the use of semantic HTML elements (e.g. EM and STRONG) and
> the STYLE attribute in the output, but at least these formatting
> objects can be media-independent and this addresses my concern about
> accessibility.

I dont understand in what way EM and STRONG can be viewed as semantic.
What is the meaning of the contents of an EM element?

I see them as abstract presentational elements. No meaning, but abstract
enough for allowing rendering on both screen an aurally. I can
understand that you want presentation objects at that abstraction level,
but still, there are no semantics.

Fredrik Lindgren
Upright Engineering AB