Re: XSL is difficult to...?

Subject: Re: XSL is difficult to...?
From: "Don Park" <donpark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:54:22 -0700
> Oisin McGuinness wrote:
> >
> > Both the issues raised by Don Park concerning naming of
> > xsl:apply-templates etc., and "james-the-other-one"'s 'apply-tempaltes'
> > problem could presumably be addressed by an XSL processor which
> > understood SGML Architectures; then they just have to define their XSL
> > rule names as inheriting appropriately from the "official" ones.
>
> While this idea certainly may lend itself as a solution to Don's
> concerns, I personally view this as being a threat to the adoption of
> XSL by the masses.  If everyone goes forward and starts making their own
> proprietary language tags, we will fragment XSL into a completely
> un-unified (spelling?) and therefore undesireable language for the
> Internet.

I don't know where I might have given the wrong impression but I raised
those issues for the benefit of the XML community in general and not because
of some specific problem I am trying to solve.

I do agree with Duane that encouraging different dialects of XSL will be
harmful to wide adoption of XSL as a standard.

Best,

Don